A squeaky-clean mouth is a foundation for good overall health. We all know the basic practices for good oral health, in case you’ve forgotten, the keys to a healthy mouth include:
In addition to these routine practices, we’ve compiled a list of some quick and important tips to keep your oral health in good shape.
1. Brush your teeth in first thing in the morning and right before bed. Brushing in the AM helps to eliminate bad breath and anything you may have missed the night before. Brushing right before bed ensures that all the particles and build up from food consumption have been eliminated from your mouth and helps to stimulate your saliva for extra protection as you sleep.
2. Brush your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day. We all know it’s important to brush our teeth twice a day, but many of us don’t brush our teeth properly. Set a timer or stopwatch on your smartphone to ensure that you are brushing for a minimum of two minutes each time you brush. Be sure to brush every area of your mouth, especially your gum line and your tongue.
3. Rinse all of the toothpaste out of your mouth after brushing. Failing to spit out all of the remaining toothpaste in your mouth can cause an unpleasant buildup and can actually counteract the benefits of brushing in the first place. Additionally, you don’t want that excess bacteria, gunk, and the chemical from your toothpaste hanging around in your mouth. Be sure to thoroughly rinse with water after every brush (even if you have to rinse twice).
4. Floss before you brush to clear out the spaces between your teeth so your toothbrush can more easily access them. Remember to floss at least once a day!
5. Use a mouthwash that contains fluoride. Despite some controversy, fluoride aids in the maintenance and rebuilding of tooth enamel and should not be exempt from your oral hygiene routine. Be sure to rinse your mouth with fluoride mouthwash once or twice a day to help protect your enamel and prevent erosion, tooth discoloration, and gingivitis
For more information on a healthy smile in Beverly Hills, schedule your appointment with Dr. Rodney Raanan today.