Dental Concerns and Care for Seniors
Ageing gracefully is an arduous task. In Beverly Hills, there are an abundance of cosmetic options for preserving youth, however, many seniors often neglect to care for their mouths. As we age our need for dental care increases, and it is important for seniors to maintain a healthy mouth.
Dental Concerns for Seniors:
- Yellow Teeth: With age, our enamel wears down and stains build up, causing our teeth to inevitably yellow. Teeth whitening or porcelain veneers can easily correct this common sign of ageing.
- Dryness of the Mouth: Oftentimes the result of medical treatment or decreased saliva production. Daily use of Biotene, as well as proper hydration, are excellent steps to avoiding a dry mouth.
- Tooth & Root Decay: Decay stems from neglected oral hygiene or lack of professional dental care. As you age, your gums recede and expose the roots of your teeth thus subjecting them to potentially harmful acids. These acids erode and decay your roots, causing severe damage. Routine visits to a dental professional as well as dedication to oral hygiene can prevent decay.
- Gingivitis: Lack of dental hygiene can also cause gum disease. In addition to gum recession, the elderly may experience symptoms like swollen and bleeding gums, and even tooth loss. Gingivitis can also be prevented by routine dental cleanings and a thorough cleaning routine
- Stomatitis: This painful inflammation of the mouth impairs your ability to chew, speak, and even sleep. In seniors, stomatitis is typically linked to improper denture placement and lack of oral hygiene. Consider dental implants as alternatives to dentures to avoid stomatitis
Tips for Maintaining Good Oral Health:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a non-abrasive toothpaste.
- Floss daily.
- Use an alcohol-free mouthwash (as your gums have increased sensitivity).
- Visit your dentist for dental exams, cleanings, and prevention every six months.
If you are a senior in the Beverly Hills area, book your appointment with Dr Rodney Raanan today.